Thursday, July 26, 2012

Great Balls of Fire! (Santa Marta, Colombia)

So last week Colombia celebrated it's independence day and I had the absolute pleasure of joining my friend Jose to the fesitivies in downtown Santa Marta. He told me that we were going to watch some fireworks and see some cool lights. We arrived early and we waited on a sidewalk corner, sitting and watching the people slowly start to pile into this plaza. At first I was a little bored and skeptical that things would start on time here in Colombia and was even tempted to suggest a different activity. But soon enough, the events started. I saw a group of young Colombians running in one direction, with screams of joy and fright in their voices and I asked Jose what was going on and he nonchalantly told me that it was a ball of fire that they were chasing after.


At first I thought it was an anomaly, and we went to go see the excitement. I then realized that this ball of fire was something they did on purpose and they kicked it around like a soccer ball, into the air, and into the crowds of people... for fun! What ensued was two whole hours of multiple balls being enflamed, thrown and kicked around, while people screamed and ran for their lives!! Jose and I stayed on the sidelines and watched with anticipation and every now and then we'd have to run aways like little school girls, because the flames would be coming our way either by land or by air! All the while there was music bands playing loudly and people dancing in the streets like there was no tomorrow. I got hit twice by these flameballs, once on my leg overtop of my jeans, thankfully, and the next on my arm where my hairs were cinged. I had the mentality that if I stood in one place the chances of me actually getting hit were minimal, clearly I was mistaken. Man, did I scream like a little baby everytime those flames came near, along with everyone else in the crowds. I can only imagine what it would be like if I were in a war, with bombs and guns going off.


I thought to myself that this activity is so dangerous, and there were so many young children around that this couldn't be happening. How can parents allow their kids to play with fire like this? Where's the police? Where's the firemen? But as time passed, and I screamed louder and louder, and my heart beat rapidly as Jose and I ran up and down the streets, I realized how much fun this rare event truly was! Better than a rollercoaster ride at disneyland I suppose! Two full hours I'll say once again, of flames, music, fireworks, and pure anxiety and rip roaring hoo-hahs!!

No comments:

Letters to my Mom - Part 1

 Hi Mom,  I'm here in Playa del Carmen, Mexico while Carlos and Isaac are in the Philippines. They visited Tita Girlie and everyone else...