Thursday, December 15, 2005

No time for goodbyes

As the semester comes to an end (3 exams done, 2 more to go!) it begins to sadden me that I won't be able to enjoy my teachers' lectures any longer. You never really get a chance to say a proper thank-you and goodbye. I have this deep appreciation for teachers and you want to express it but it seems that there's never really a given oppotunity to do so. You see them during your last class, but it's not goodbye time because they always say "ok, I'll see you guys at the exam". However, you don't really "see" them, for one thing you normally in a different environment (ie: a gymnasium or a different room from your regular class) and 98% of the time you've got your head focussed on your test. And then when you hand in your paper, the room is really silent, so all you can do is quickly whisper some form of comment. Perhaps share a moment of non-verbal cues with some eye-contact and a smile. Then that's that. You may pass this teacher down the halls in the upcoming semester and say a rushed "hello".

Is that all this person deserves; this person who has so passionatley shared their own knowledge with you for the last 10-11 weeks, not to mention tidbits of their own personal life and their own unique personality?

Sometimes I have this urge just to ask my teacher out for a drink or a coffee and sit down and talk to them on a personal, one to one basis. What would we have to talk about? I only know them in the context of their teachings. I'd love to tell them what influences they have made on me and how what they have said has made an impact on my thoughts and ideas. "I get it! I really get it! I understood what you meant when you said... "

Merry Christmas my dear teachers... Thank-you.

No comments:

Letters to my Mom - Part 1

 Hi Mom,  I'm here in Playa del Carmen, Mexico while Carlos and Isaac are in the Philippines. They visited Tita Girlie and everyone else...