Saturday, September 03, 2005

Freshman

Wow, I can't believe its been over a month since my last post. Sadly I haven't done much since then.

Yesterday was my first day back to school. My God! For the last couple of months it hasn't really phased me that going back to school would be a huge change in my life. When I was sitting in my first class yesterday morning I looked around and saw about 20 faces all about 7-9 years younger than mine. I thought, "what the hell am I doing here? This is ridiculous, I should be somewhere earning money and making a life for myself!"

We all sat around in anticipation to see who our professor would be, looked around to check each other out, looked at our watches to count the minutes until the day's end. In walked Dr. Jane, an older lady with grey hair and glasses in her 40's, with an updated outfit. She wore simple sandals, a pinky-greenish funky skirt that flowed about and complimented it with a faded jean jacket. As she began to talk about the semester ahead of us in the 'Nature of Religion' most of us intently listened and laughed at her rants about this and that. And in that first 50 minutes of her lecturing us about why we're sitting in that classroom, I began to feel comfortable. I began to like this lady in front of me. I began to realize why I'm going to school again, its something that I want to do, I want to learn about these cool things, I want to educate my mind, I want to be able to educate others.

Geez, I hope I can keep this attitude up for the next 6 years.

8 comments:

bubba said...

school? there's no life like, my friend...(unless it's the canadian armed forces). enjoy, 'cause it's hell out here.

parabolicant said...

What are you taking? My courses at the U of c don't start until Tuesday

dean said...

Well, I'm getting a BA with a major in English. Right now, I'm taking
English pre 18th cent.lit.
Nature of Religion
Intro Linguistics
Intro Psych
Intro Sociology
Intermediate Engl. composition (via correspondence)

What are you taking Mike? Welcome home by the way!

Kyle said...

You've got some great courses there. I never took any courses from Dr. Jane but I think she taught there when I was at U of C, and I believe she's supposed to be pretty good. (If I'm thinking about the same person. I'm probably not. But maybe)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dean!

I just started school now myself - I'm going through the same feelings you are...

But it's never too late. Never, and we have a different perspective on life and the world around us as the younger one don't.

Take care and enjoy life!

Nicklas .L.

soapyDave said...

you'll love it, Dean - i'd spend my life in school if i could

bubba said...

hey dean,

i love your whiteboard photo series...you've got a whole lot of photos i haven't seen yet. keep posting...

dean said...

Thanks Al, I've actually started a new photosite cause flickr only give 200 free pictures. The other one is unlimited. I'm slowly adding stuff, but don't wanna release it yet... Hehe.

Letters to my Mom - Part 1

 Hi Mom,  I'm here in Playa del Carmen, Mexico while Carlos and Isaac are in the Philippines. They visited Tita Girlie and everyone else...